Saturday, April 25, 2009

Just My Luck...cont

There seems no end to this now. It’s taking too much toll on me. I thought this is the bottom of it...but as usual I am wrong again. The adjuster from the insurance company came and he said the truck is a total loss. And what is worse is that the money that will be paid by the insurance company is too less.

That truck would have gone on for another couple of years without any problem and now a new one has to be bought. I had filed for my Green Card and by doing so I have also ruled out the option of going to school on a student visa. The rule states that the student has to go back to his native country once the course is over, and since I have shown an immigration intent I can’t go on a student visa.

I was talking to my friend today and was explaining the whole situation. He said because I have been trying too hard for everything and that is the reason I am getting frustrated. As once a basketball coach once said, “When rape becomes inevitable, you might as well lay back and enjoy it”. It seems like the life is now trying to screw and I don’t have an option but to sit back and wait till this ordeal is over.

Life is a great teacher and it teaches us many lessons. It is up to us how much we learn. Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. I really don’t know how I would have reacted if I was in my uncle’s situation. But the way he has handled it has taught me a few important lessons.

You can be beaten once or twice but never defeated. Failure is temporary. Mr. President has said once that making your mark on the world is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. But it's not. It takes patience, it takes commitment and it comes with plenty of failure along the way. And the real test is not whether you avoid this failure, because you can’t. It's whether you let it harden or shame you into inaction or whether you learn from it; whether you choose to persevere. So every mistake in life is actually a learning experience.

Second is to look for positives even from your mistakes. If we were to count the negatives, that would be so many. Finding faults in others is so easy and we just forget that we are humans too. We will so many reasons to see negatives; the thing is looking for the positives. Sometimes we need to have an attitude ‘it could have been worse as well”.

Third is not to blame others when it’s you who wasn’t up to the mark. It’s easier to do and avoid all the criticism which you would be facing, but wouldn’t that be trying to shy away from challenges. How hard it would be for such people to stand in front of the mirror eye to eye? Accepting a failure is a much more than even winning it. It takes a lot to concede a failure gracefully. But accepting is not the only thing, just doing it wouldn’t make much of a difference. It’s to learn and improve. That’s the key.

No comments: